How to Disinfect and Descale Your Shower Heads and Hoses, Removing Limescale Effectively and Quickly: A Step-by-Step Guide
There are many different methods and products to disinfect and descale shower heads and hoses. Furthermore, if you are a public or commercial organisation, it is important that you do this to comply with the ACoP L8 and HSG247 guidelines. Fortunately, we have you covered.
HX Store have been in the water industry for over 30 years. We also offer essential legionella training, which comply with the appropriate legislations. In addition, with our detailed guide and affordable products below, we guarantee quick and easy results.
‘Showerhead Plus’ Liquids and Gel (proven to help control Legionella bacteria!)
A market-leading, commercial grade, shower head descaler and disinfection product. It removes limescale from shower heads AND kills bacteria.
Showerhead Plus is an acid based descaling and disinfecting solution that has proven effectiveness in Legionella control.
Did You Know?
Showers have been the source of many outbreaks of Legionnaires’ disease.
Showerhead Plus has proven effectiveness in Legionella bacteria control.* Therefore, should be used to clean shower heads every 3 months, or more frequently if your Legionella Risk Assessment advises so.
* The European Legionella Disinfection Test Standard (1995) for Legionella Pneumophila Serogroup 1 (NTCC 11192) gave control at 30 second contact time for 1:3 dilution.
How to Descale a Shower Head
Method 1: Using Showerhead Plus liquid to descale and disinfect removable shower heads and hoses
The main goal is to dismantle, clean and descale removable parts, heads, inserts and hoses.
To remove heavy deposits:
Use Showerhead Plus liquid neat. Caution should be taken when using neat on chrome fittings. Please test in a small area first.
For routine and regular cleaning:
Immerse in a solution of 1-part Showerhead Plus liquid to 3 parts water.
For routine and regular cleaning of your shower head and hose:
- Physically clean the head with a soft brush to remove loose deposits or soap scum
- Use a sturdy plastic bucket. Immerse the shower heads and hoses in a solution of 1-part Showerhead Plus liquid to 3 parts water. This should be enough to cover the shower heads and hoses.
- Leave to soak for 2-15 minutes.
- Any remaining loose scale can be removed by gentle rubbing.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- Examine fittings to confirm cleanliness
The liquid solution is available in 5 litre, 10 litre and 25 litre containers
Method 2: How to use Showerhead Plus Gel to clean fixed shower heads
This new product has been specifically designed to remove limescale from permanently fixed shower heads. If your shower head can be dismantled then Showerhead Plus liquid should be used as the preferred method.
For routine and regular cleaning:
- Clean the shower head before application with a soft brush to remove any loose deposits or soap scum
- Apply the Gel, using a brush or suitable applicator, all over the area you require cleaning and descaling. Allow to soak for 5 minutes
- Rinse thoroughly using clean water
- Inspect shower head/fitting surface for any remaining scale, if any scale is present repeat
- When the shower head/fitting is scale free and clean apply a final coat of Showerhead Plus Gel
- Allow one minute minimum contact time
- Rise thoroughly with clean water
- Examine for cleanliness
Please note: Showerhead Plus should not be mixed with other products. For example: Hypochlorite based solutions.
Avoid these less effective techniques to descale shower head and hose
It is a frustrating time for anyone when limescale builds in a shower head. Taking shortcuts with these appliances is never a preferable idea, especially when it comes to something you use daily.
Other ineffective techniques for stopping limescale deposits, include:
- Having to run the shower constantly, longer than 30 minutes. This is very ineffective and time consuming
- Placing a plastic bag with white vinegar inside over the head. The smell of vinegar is not ideal, especially when you remove the bag. In most cases you’d have to hurriedly open a window.
How often should you clean/descale a shower head to help prevent Legionella?
It is recommended by the HSE to descale shower heads, disinfect hoses and spray nozzles, quarterly.
Why Use Showerhead Plus?
- PROVEN EFFECTIVENESS IN LEGIONELLA BACTERIA CONTROL *
- Quickly and effectively removes limescale from shower heads
- Descales shower heads and hoses
- Easy and safe to use
- Variety of sizes for your convenience
We are pleased to offer this market-leading shower descaler in a full range of sizes and solutions. We have worked hard with the manufacturer for many years to offer this product at the best prices and quickest delivery times.
Showerhead Plus is the perfect solution to descale shower heads and hoses. Additionally, the solution can also be used on shower fittings.
Showerhead Plus should be used on a regular basis as part of your planned disinfection procedure. As a result, this contributes to preventing potential legionella bacteria growth in your shower head.
In 30+ years of trading, this is our most popular solution for removing limescale from shower heads.
Available in 5 litre, 10 litre and 25 litre containers
Or as a handy gel for your convenience and value for money
Available On Most Products
Price Match Guarantee
On Comparable Items *
Water Hygiene Compliance Supplies
Articles And News
There's no doubt that Water Softener Salt can be used in many different structures and for many different appliances, but...Read More