Royal United Hospital admits health and safety failing after Legionnaires’ death

The Royal United Hospital has admitted to a breach of health and safety law after a patient died from Legionnaires’ disease.

Terry Brooks, from Bath, died from the water-borne illness in July 2015 while he was an inpatient at the hospital.

An inquest found the 68-year-old contracted the deadly legionella bacteria from the water supply to the William Budd ward where he was a cancer patient.

The Health and Safety Executive later prosecuted the RUH with failing to discharge its general duty towards health and safety to “a person other than an employee”.

The RUH pleaded guilty to the charge in Bath Magistrates’ Court today (Wednesday, December 13).

The hospital will be sentenced by a Crown Court judge next year.

A member Mr Brooks’s family was in court but did not wish to speak to the media.

An HSE spokesperson said: “The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecuted Royal United Hospitals Bath under Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

“This follows a HSE investigation into how Royal United Hospitals Bath managed the risks to patients from legionella bacteria in its hot and cold water systems, between 1 July 2009 and 28 August 2015.

“We acknowledge the defendant’s guilty plea and a further statement will be released on sentence.”

District Judge Taylor, who had the option to sentence the hospital in magistrates’ court, decided it was “appropriate and necessary” for sentencing to take place in a Crown court.

For more information please click the link below:

Main menu